Registration for 2019-2020 is open
The National Geographic GeoBee is an annual competition designed to inspire and reward students' curiosity about the world. Registration for the 2019-2020 school year is now open!
Registered schools receive a suite of curated study resources to prepare students and 400+ GeoBee questions covering geography, civilizations, cultures, physical features, and more to hold a school GeoBee. Prizes to celebrate participants will also be included.
The academic competition is open to students in grades four through eight, in public schools, private schools, and homeschools in the United States and its territories, as well as the Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS).
Title I schools are eligible for a discount on GeoBee registration*. Fill out the 2019-20 GeoBee Discount Request Form to apply for a discount.
The National Geographic GeoBee includes three levels of competition; school, state, and national.
Schools conduct a GeoBee and name a school champion. The school champion takes a proctored online qualifying test and the top-100-ranked students in each state qualify to represent their school at the State GeoBee competition. State champions are then invited to compete in the national championship.
- August 1, 2019: Registration opens
- October 1, 2019: School GeoBee materials available for download
- October 1, 2019–February 7, 2020: School GeoBees held; date and time determined locally
- December 20, 2019: Registration by check closes.
- December 21, 2019–January 24, 2020: Registration limited to credit card transactions
- January 24, 2020: Last day for School GeoBee registration
- February 7, 2020: Deadline for completion of online State GeoBee qualifying test
- March 2, 2020: State GeoBee qualifiers announced on NatGeoBee.org/results
- March 27, 2020: State GeoBees held
- May 2020: National Championship held in Washington, D.C. (exact dates TBD—check back soon!)
About the GeoBee
Developed by the National Geographic Society in 1988 to promote geographic knowledge among young people in the United States, the National Geographic GeoBee is an academic competition for public schools, private schools, and homeschools in the United States and its territories, as well as the Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS).